Note: This high-calorie recipe is especially for teens with cystic fibrosis (CF), who may need additional calories to meet their nutritional needs.
This is a quick and easy high-calorie meal for your next barbecue.
Prep time: 25 minutes
What you need:
- 3 ounces ground beef
- 2 ounces ground sausage
- 1 tablespoon onion, chopped finely
- 2 slices (2 ounces) cheddar cheese
- 2 slices cooked bacon
- 1 hamburger bun
What to do:
- Prepare grill or grill pan over stove.
- Combine beef, sausage, and onion and mix gently in a bowl.
- Form one patty about 1 inch thick. Make sure to wash hands thoroughly before and after handling raw meat!
- Grill patty about 5 inches from coals, about 6 minutes per side, until cooked throughout. You can use a meat thermometer to check that the internal temperature is at least 165°F/75°C.
- Place cheddar cheese on patty and continue to cook for about 30 seconds before removing from the grill.
- Put bacon on top of the burger.
- Place the bacon cheeseburger into a hamburger bun.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 1,092 calories
- 88g fat
- 49g protein
- 1,615mg sodium
- 491mg calcium
Serving size: 1 hamburger
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on the ingredient brands used.