Prep time: 90 minutes
What you need:
- 2 14.5-oz. cans of crushed tomatoes
- 1 6-oz. can of tomato paste
- 2 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green bell pepper, chopped
- 1 medium red bell pepper, chopped
- 1 c. broccoli, chopped into florets
- 2 tbsp. olive oil or vegetable oil
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tsp. dried basil
- 1 tsp. cumin
- 1 tsp. thyme
- 1/2 lb. spicy Italian sausage (optional)
What to do:
- Heat oil over medium-high heat in a pan.
- Add garlic and onion and cook until the onion is translucent (more clear than white).
- Add peppers and broccoli and sauté for a few minutes.
- Add crushed tomatoes, tomato paste, and spices. When mixture is bubbling, reduce heat to simmer and cover. Simmer for at least 60 minutes, stirring occasionally. The longer it simmers, the better it tastes.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 175 calories
- 6g protein
- 6g fat
- 29g carbohydrate
- 6g fiber
- 0mg cholesterol
- 253mg sodium
- 90mg calcium
- 3.5mg iron
Serving size: 3/4 c.
Note: Nutritional analysis may vary depending on ingredient brands used.
- If you want to add the sausage, boil the meat in a large pot for about 5 minutes until the fat collects on top of the water. Drain the water. Pour the fat into a container to throw away later, after the fat has hardened (pouring it down the drain can cause plumbing or sewer problems). Set sausage aside in a bowl or dish. Complete Steps 1 through 3. Slice and add the sausage before you cover the pan in Step 4.
- Try substituting chicken or turkey sausage — lots of taste with less fat.
- Experiment with other veggies — eggplant, squash, or zucchini are all delicious additions.
- Be daring with spices. The amounts and spices listed here are only recommendations.
- Be sure to freeze any leftover sauce — it actually tastes even better after it's been frozen!