Veggie Mac & Cheese
Prep time: 60 minutes
What you need:
- 8 oz. whole-wheat macaroni
- 1 tbsp. olive oil
- 1/2 c. chopped fresh broccoli
- 1/2 c. chopped bell pepper
- 1/4 c. chopped white onion
- 2-1/2 c. nonfat milk
- 3 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 c. reduced-fat shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 c. fresh baby spinach
What to do:
- Preheat the oven to 375°F (190°C).
- Cook macaroni according to the package directions. Set aside.
- Heat olive oil in a medium saucepan and add the broccoli, pepper, and onion. Cook, stirring occasionally, over medium heat for about 5 minutes.
- Add milk to the saucepan and let it sit for 1 minute. Then gradually whisk in the flour and let it simmer for another minute, stirring occasionally.
- Remove the mixture from the heat and stir in the cheese until it melts.
- Add the cooked pasta to the vegetable and cheese mixture and stir to coat the pasta in cheese.
- Add the spinach to the mixture. Mix until the spinach is wilted.
- Pour the pasta mixture in to a 9-inch square baking dish and bake, uncovered, for about 20 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Let the mixture cool for about 10 minutes before serving.
Nutritional analysis (per serving):
- 320 calories
- 20g protein
- 10g fat
- 5g sat. fat
- 39g carbohydrate
- 4g fiber
- 25mg cholesterol
- 330mg sodium
- 6g sugars
Serving size: About 1 cup
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Calcium helps build strong bones and teeth, and plays an important role in the healthy functioning of the circulatory, muscular, and nervous systems. Pregnant and lactating women should get 1,000 mg of calcium a day. Healthy sources of calcium include low-fat dairy products, calcium-fortified orange juice and cereals, and spinach.