Prep time: 25 minutes
- ½ romaine lettuce head
- 1 cucumber
- 1 green bell pepper
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 plum tomatoes
- 1 c. chopped white onion
- 3 c. fresh baby spinach
- 6 oz. canned, pitted black olives
- 1 c. canned chickpeas
- 2 tsp. olive oil
- 4 tbsp. fresh lemon juice
- Wash and dry the lettuce, spinach, cucumber, peppers, and tomatoes.
- Chop up the lettuce, cucumber, peppers, and tomatoes; place them in a bowl with the chopped onions and the spinach.
- Drain and rinse the olives and chickpeas, and then add them to the bowl with all of the vegetables.
- To make the dressing: in a separate small bowl, whisk together the olive oil and lemon juice.
- When ready to serve, pour the dressing over the salad mixture and toss until the salad is coated.
Serving size: About 1 cup
This recipe has important nutrients for mom and baby, including:
Vitamin A helps develop a baby's heart, eyes, and immune system. Good sources of vitamin A include milk, orange fruits and vegetables (such as cantaloupe, carrots, and sweet potatoes), and dark leafy greens. Prenatal vitamins should not contain more than 1,500 micrograms (5,000 IU) of vitamin A and pregnant women should not take vitamin A supplements. Both too little and too much vitamin A can harm a developing fetus.