How to Pick a Great Book to Read
The world is full of great books, just waiting to be read. How can you pick one you'll really like? Here are some tips:
- What makes you happy? If you have a favorite hobby or pastime, look for books about that activity. Are you really into dinosaurs or dogs or a specific celebrity? Are there a few careers you're interested in? You can find books about almost anything you like, and you're more likely to enjoy reading a book if you're already interested in its subject.
- Fact or fiction? Some books are entirely made up and imagined.
Those are called fiction books. Novels, short stories, and fables are all examples
of fiction. These books can transport you to another world or help you imagine something
beyond your own experience.
Nonfiction books give you the who, what, when, and why. They tell stories using facts — but that doesn't mean they're boring. Nonfiction books can bring to life everything from the first trip to the moon to what it's like to explore the deepest oceans. Many of them read like novels from start to finish. Try both fiction and nonfiction books to see which you like better.
- Find a family favorite. What was your mother's favorite book when she was your age? Or your dad's? What about a sibling's? Ask them and give it a read. Then you can talk about what they liked about it and share your thoughts. It's a fun way to get to know your family a little better, and to find a book you'll enjoy!
- Ask an expert. Your local library is a great place to find books that you'll love, and you don't have to search all by yourself. Tell a librarian about your interests — rock stars, sports teams, historical events, whatever you're into — and the names of some books you already like. Your librarian can help you find other books that you're sure to love. Your teacher is another good person to ask.
- Launch a book swap. Why not get some friends together and trade favorite books? It's always fun to see what your friends are reading. Even if they're not exactly bookworms, you can all encourage each other to read and share books and authors you like. You also can look for book swaps in your area. It's a great way to build your personal library for free!